Saturday, June 26, 2010

Is it true that using chapstick/lip balm makes your lips stop producing it's own oils?

I have been a ';chapstick addict'; since I began using chapstick back in my teens. I am now 36 and don't go ANYWHERE without lip balm. If I do, my lips get very dry and flakey. I cannot wear lipstick anymore because of this! I have heard that using these lip balms is the root of the evil..could it be true? If so, how do I stop now!? I drink LOTS of water, so I don't believe in the ('you need to drink more water') reply. I currently use Mela's Vanilla lip balm and while I love it, the moment I don't use it, my lips are all dry again. It does have a petroleum base, like chapstick brand. Could that be the problem? Or is it just the use of lip balms altogether? Advice anyone?Is it true that using chapstick/lip balm makes your lips stop producing it's own oils?
These products do something bad as everyone who uses them constantly has the same problem. They either over moisturize or do something else and once you stop yes your lips do dry out badly. It'll take at least a week to get them repaired if not longer after non use of the balm.





I have only used these things once and even that experience was not the best. It helped with the dryness when needed but afterwards I noticed they were too dry. So I don't use these and I have no problems with natural moisture of lips.Is it true that using chapstick/lip balm makes your lips stop producing it's own oils?
I highly doubt chapstick will make your lips stop producing oil since they have no pores to secrete it from. Your lips are supposed to be natually protected by saliva. You really just need chapstick when youre in the sun (and your lips dry out constantly) or when youre sleeping (when saliva production slows down by alot). Try licking your lips every now and then and see if it works.
i dont think it dries out your lips. Maybe you just naturally have dry lips. I've been using chapstick for years, but it's not like horrible when i don't use it
i know its bad if u use it that often





u should try not using it for three days and then go back to lip balm. do that at least twice a month.





trust me, im a doctor
yes its true..but only with synthetic ones. you become dependant on them (especially lip balms with mineral oil in it) and it inhibits your body's own moisturizing ablities. so use a natural oil like coconut oil or beeswax or shea butter
lips dont produce oil. Rub you lips with extra virgin olive oil. they will be so soft

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
parasites