Saturday, June 26, 2010

Addicted to chapstick/lip balm?

A few months ago my father commented on the excessive use of chap stick and told me I can become reliant on it. I didn't believe him until I tried to stop using it and my lips were so dry, they stung. If I loose my chap stick I freak out cos all I can think about is how dry my lips are.





This must sound like I'm a nutter or a hypochondriac but its driving me mental. if I just stop using it how ling will it take for my lips to make their own moisture again? Will they ever?





Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do?





thank you xAddicted to chapstick/lip balm?
My boyfriend constantly makes fun of me about my lip balm addiction. There's even a website called Lip balm's Anonymous or something of that sort.





But chap sticks/lip balms cannot be harmful, but some do fool you. The menthol and mint tingling you feel from certain products actually dry out your lips more. It's just the cool feeling you get that makes you think it's working.





There's no problem with using lip care products, but if you want to stop, that's also fine. If you get the natural moisture back, try drinking more water. It's a naturally hydrating and does wonders for your body.Addicted to chapstick/lip balm?
You're not addicted. U just have naturally dry lips like me. I can't live without lip balm too. I feel naked without it actually.


there is no need to stop using lip balm. it doesnt hurt your body. since u have dry lips, all the more u should keep using!


there might be external factors worsening your condition, and that might be excessive licking of the lips, hot and dry weather, etc. Saliva actually dries your lips more after it evaporates from your lips. if u have this habit, make an effort to change it.


your dry lips condition is not likely to change. u can only provide them the extra moisture they need, and that is lip balm! there is nothing wrong/crazy about that!
i do the same thing at school and these jerks in my class told everyone i ate chap stick which wasn't true i just needed it on my lips. Here is what i think all those people who made fun of me will look back and be like i wish i was hannah because they will have ugly lips and i will have smooth perfect lips. To me its nothing 2 be ashamed of. Since i am 13 i can now wear makeup so i will use lip gloss instead.Anyways i also have a vaseline next to my bed in case i have chapped lips at night.
I understand where you are coming from because I am like that with my lipgloss. If I don't have on my lipgloss i won't feel right, and my lips will feel dry. I love to have my lips very glossy its more appealing to me. Be proud of liking your chapstick but don't let it take over you.
Well if you're all freaked out about people seeing you use chapstick, you can buy some lip balm that you put on when you go to bed. And then the next day when you wake up it should feel moisturized for a day.
I can only tell you that I dealt with the same issue in the past...it isn't any fun that is for sure :(


I just stopped using it and increased my water intake and they somehow healed back to normal.
Well, it's not good that your lips before dry and sting, but if you just cut down and put it on in the mornings or before bed I think you'll be fine.





Good luck!


;)
This is actually something thats been known to happen, there are internet support groups for this. Discuss it with your doctor
LMAO i have that addiction now.. it sounds really dumb but it can happen! i haven't tried not using it .. idk what would happen
driiiiiiiiiiiiiink water.
i have been accused of that too. try and slow down your use. that helped me.
Its will take a few weeks.





I luffles chap stick.
i have the same problem, i say, forget ur dad! if u wanna use chapstick all the time go for it! it's really that bad!
just keep using it, its cant hurt you!
You are NOT a nutter.





I did this to myself unknowingly as well. I found a new flavor the b/f loved and wore it constantly which although it upped my spontaneous kiss for no good reason ratio, it really did make my lips addicted to the balm. I searched for info all over the web about how to undo this bizzarre damage. I found nothing, so this is what I did I hope it works for you.





You feel like and addict right?





As silly as it sounds you are, I was, and so are a million others. No matter how ridiculous it seems (I was embarrassed myself, :-P), it is an addiction plain and simple to your body. Your body figures, ';Hell if she's gonna do it for me, why should I do it anymore? You have to fix it like any other addiction.





Weening yourself.





It's miserable I can tell you that, I almost gave up a billion times because I am the compulsive lip licker when my lips are chapped or dry which in the end only makes them worse I thought my lips would eventually crack to pieces and fall off but surprisingly they didn't. I started by limiting how often I let myself put it on, and stuck to that schedule. Whilst I was addicted I found myself putting it on every 15 minutes or so, just to make sure they never got even the slightest bit dry, I also got phsically addicted to the feeling of that slick wax coating. So to start I linited myself to 1 application every hour on the hour. The first week was hell, I was watching the clock waiting for my next fix every 1/2 and hour I knew it was time only to be shocked I had to wait another 1/2 hour. Yet after that first week I started getting back to me, getting caught up in work and forgetting to apply. When I noticed this happening I limited myself to every two hours. Week by week I applied less and less. It took approximately 3 months for me to get my lips back in the condition they were before the balm addiction, but I am sooo thankful I did it. I still use balm now and then when I have a serious dry lip problem or I want to feel a bit sexy or polished, but I make sure I use it once and put it away. In a world with so many possible addictions, I am just happy I got passed this one, it's harder then it ever seemed it would be.





Don't be embarrassed, dont' feel silly, it's a live and learn thing. I'm just happy I went through this so I could help someone else, at least I hope this helps.





Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
parasites